Last year we had such a bountiful harvest of Concord grapes from just two plants.
They were just beautiful and we were able to share quite a bit with family and neighbors.
Naturally, we thought we would have an even larger crop this year,
but it was not meant to be.
We are finding extensive damage that has literally just occurred (everything was fine last week)
and through my hasty research I believe the Grape Berry Moth is the culprit.
Eggs are laid in mid-May that hatch larvae in four days and they feast on all of your fruits.
It all happened so fast, we weren't even aware.
Now there are almost no grapes left.
Research dictates that if this happens to your grapes,
you should continue to treat the pests all summer...
they are in the stems and in the ground, and will come back again
if a management plan is not established.
You can see how the small fruits have been devoured and the stripped stems protrude like hairs.
They should ALL have a tiny grape on them.
This is not a leaf-eating pest, they are attacking the crop.
They can be treated with Carbaryl, an insecticide found in the product Sevin.
I'm using it now to save my vines, but I guess my grapes will no longer be pesticide free.
A little irritated over the fact that the grapes are blown for the whole year now.
If anyone has any other idea on what this may be other than the Grape Berry Moth,
let me know.