Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Come Holy Spirit

Today I'm inspired by the Holy Spirit.




I'm at least telling myself that because I need to be. 

I went to a special mass last night in honor of the Holy Spirit

and I can say I did walk away differently than when I came.




So many things are out of our control in our lives.

I know I need to be better at giving it all back.

But it is not easy for me to do at all.

But it is something I should strive to do.




The Holy Spirit is always seen in art as a dove.

It is defined as the love that flows between God the Father and God the Son.

It is often depicted in Renaissance paintings,

but I have never seen it so lovingly portrayed in a sculpture as this one.




This little chalkware Jesus has glass eyes.

But I find the unique thing about it is the age of Christ.

It isn't often you find Him depicted at this age in art.

Usually, He is an Infant, Merciful, or Glorified.

In more contemporary art, a humble man.

But rarely ever a young boy.




I know it must be Jesus

because of the intimacy between the two figures.

Today, they are photographed with garden flowers,

but this sculpture is not an outdoor sculpture.

It remains on my kitchen counter.




It may seem like a strange place to you...




...but I find a multitude of important decisions

are mulled over and pondered at the kitchen sink.


Pile on the dishes.



Sharing with:












12 comments:

Unknown said...

You are right, so few images at that age. It is a lovely piece.

Barefoot in Blue Jeans said...

You said this so beautifully, and I don't think I have seen Jesus pictured very many times as a young boy.

NanaDiana said...

That is just a beautiful Jesus child with the dove. I, too, make many decisions at the kitchen sink with my hands immersed in soapy water...sometimes adding a few drops of salt to the water as I remember something that has profoundly affected my life- Blessings to you! And because it is a DOVE...a bird...it makes me think of chickens...enough to shed a tear for you over them!

Debra@CommonGround said...

such a beautiful and precious statue. I agree about the kitchen, the heart of the home where we all come together. blessings for a wonderful week!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Beautifully said.

Thanks.

bmccloy said...

Thanks for such a thoughful post... its greatly appreciated.

Blessed Serendipity said...

It is when we invite the Holy Spirit into our daily lives that we get a glimpse of God working in us and through us. What a beautiful statue of a young Jesus.

blessings!
Danielle

Red Rose Alley said...

What a beautiful statue this is, and the Holy Spirit is just what I needed today. Thank you, Andrea.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Hello Andrea! We've popped over from Debra's to say hello and that we absolutely love all of your painted goodies...and your gorgeous garden! We are so glad we did, because this statue just stopped us in our tracks! Love it in your garden....bue we love the thought of it in your kitchen! This is one of the most beautiful depictions of Jesus...it is so neat with the Holy Spirit ~ such a lovely reminder of the Father's love for us :)

Prims By The Water said...

What a beautiful chalkware statue of the child Jesus. What an inspiration to have in your kitchen! Also love this newest redo of the dresser. What an awesome find your dad found for you. Take care, Janice

Chenille Cottage said...

"Come Holy Spirit
I need Thee....
Come sweet spirit, I pray...
Come in thy strength and thy power
Come in Thy own gentle way."

Thank you for the beautiful blog!
What an uplifting post!

Have a wonderful week,
Carolynn
(I am your newest follower.)

Linda Walker said...

I just read this post....perfect timing as I just recently posted about angels...I love the statue, it is indeed beautiful!
Linda
mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...