Sunday, December 2, 2012

First Sunday of Advent and Holly Berries

The holly bush by our front door is blooming right now
 
to welcome Christmas properly, of course.
 
 


And so a few clippings in a tinted jar is all I need for today's quiet imagery.
 
The theme of this week of advent is to listen.
 
 
 
 
Let's not let our hearts become weakened
 
with a commercialized presentation of Christmas.
 
Let us rejoice in the little things.
 
...clear our minds...
 
Let's listen to Christmas music to help set a tone.
 
 
 
 
Holly as decor marks the advent of our Lord...
 
let us prepare our homes and wait.
 
It is said that in the early days of Christianity, Christians used holly as winter decor
 
because it blended with the decor of the non-believers who also used it.
 
In this way, they secretly and quietly celebrated the Nativity of our Lord and avoided conflict.
 
 
 
 
To Christians, the holly leaves came to symbolize the crown of thorns.
 
The berries, the drops of blood within it.
 
This visual metaphor is emphasized in a holly wreath.
 
 
 
 
Alone, a few sprigs make a simple arrangement.
 
Natural, Biblical, folk... all hallmarks of true vintage Christmas decor.
 
(A few sprigs of faux holly can do if your concerned about children or pets
 
ingesting poisonous berries).
 
 
 
 
Happy Advent!
 
Sharing with
 
 
 
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday
*Christmas Linky for Vignettes and Mantels*
 
 
 
 

 



8 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Beautiful post...beautiful pics too. Hope you have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Linda

NanaDiana said...

What a beautiful post, Andrea. I'll bet there are a lot of people out there that have no idea about the significance of holly and the red berries. I have tried to grow it several times with no luck- Your display is gorgeous- xo Diana

SImple and Serene Living said...

This is a beautiful post, Andrea. I love holly.

Hugs,
Laura

Unknown said...

I didn't know the significance of the holly berry's use at Christmas. I have several holly bushes in my yard, and often use them at Christmas. I'll make it a point to decorate with some this year!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Andrea, what a sweet post. Love the holly in the blue jar. Simple beauty. To be a good listener is definately a gift. I have been playing Christmas music all day lately. Just love it!
Hugs,
Jann

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love holly and yours looks so pretty, Andrea! I planted two holly bushes the year before we wound up moving, just so I could cut some to bring in the house at the holidays.

Pam Kessler said...

Beautiful photos. I have a tiny bit of a holly theme in my living room. I wish I had real holly bushes though.

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love Holly. I don't ever see it here. I wonder if our weather is too warm for it. So pretty.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...