Tuesday, January 22, 2013

An Antique Valentine and My Gibson Gals


I have always loved February...
(get here already, will you??)





For me it means the end of winter is near.
The end of dark days.
And here love blooms like a honeycomb Valentine.
It IS the month of love, of course.




I always envision February as a vibrant red in my mind's eye.
And so are the covers of my two volumes of Gibson's Gals.





Are you familiar with Gibson's Gals?
If not, you will enjoy...








My dad found these in the garbage about ten years ago already.
The volumes are valued at over $100 apiece.




Gibson Gals are traditional ink print artworks
featuring damsels from the 1800s.





Many demonstrate the female power over the weaker sex.
This one is called,
"A Young Lawyer Argues His First Important Case."




This one, "Summer Sports."
(Love how the men are kites).




Many also illustrate regret, as in marrying for money.





The best images demonstrate lovely encounters..
"All Broken Up."




and old love,
"An Interrupted Story."








7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I can remember looking at those girls in a book at my Aunt's house. I can't believe someone threw them out-can you imagine? Your reds are all beautiful- xo Diana

Unknown said...

Oh how lovely, what a great find!

The Cranky said...

Wow, go Dad! I love finds like that. Love the reds as well, so cheery this time of year.

Cynthia said...

I've always love these illustrations. Those you are sharing are special. What a great find those books are! Gibson was very astute in his interpretations of women in his time.

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Great find! I love the illustrations. They would be cute in frames...

Unknown said...

What great finds! Gibson is my maiden name and my dad always jokes he had 5 Gibson girls!

Red Rose Alley said...

Andrea,
I LOVE LOVE THESE ILLUSTRATIONS, ESPECIALLY THE OLD LOVE!! The red roses are soooo pretty. I really enjoyed browsing through the pictures and getting a bit of knowledge about them. What a delightful post today, as Valentine's Day is so special to me. LOVE ALL THE RED TOO!!
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...