Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chicken Coop Catch All


Chickens are HOT!

So one of my entries for the WhisperWood Cottage

Cottages and Bungalows Scouting Talent Party

had to revisit this favorite post of mine.


 


People want chickens in their backyards,

they want *chicken decor* in their kitchens,

and they want repurposed farm novelties

to give an every day living space more character.

An old nesting box apartment complex is a great way to bring

*rustic*chicken*love*

into your home.


I have a very generous farmer-neighbor who was so kind

as to let me have some of his old farm objects.  Here is a photo

from inside one of the barns.  So inspiring...







One of the objects I brought home with me

was this old nesting box from his chicken coop.






Country Living Magazine once had an image a few years ago that I

was really drawn to-- they used a nesting box for magazines.





Once painted, my nesting box can be used for seasonal decor

(outdoors OR in),

to organize winter hats and gloves- sorted per person,

and to organize children's school and art supplies.

Everyone can have an assigned cubbie!





I painted the nesting apartment with two coats of Valspar Signature. 

Then, I penciled in the letters and painted over them with an aqua blue. 

I also added little numbers to the fronts of the bins.




And styled outdoors for fall...






I do appreciate autumn's assistance with photography.

The colors and textures are so vivid and crisp!

Pretty soon we will all be holed up for winter

and these types of painting projects won't come so easily.





I love the idea of incorporating unconventional pieces

into the home to serve as furniture or storage solutions.





But large nesting boxes are very expensive at flea markets. 

I've seen them marked as high as $500 for older wooden antiques.

Galvanized ones can be had for a cheaper price- $50 and up.

Soooooo.....when this one was offered to me, I couldn't pass it up!





This one is a keeper for me for sure!!





Linking up with:







39 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Don't you love it when you tell yourself "someday" and it happens "TODAY"! You did a wonderful job on your nesting boxes, very upscale!
Yvonne

Katie @ sweetgirlexpressions said...

Ohhh..very cool...I'm totally jealous!

Pamela said...

OMG I love this!! It turned out fabulous!

All That Glitters said...

OMG!!! The coop looks amazing! I want one!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Very clever idea! I love it.
Barb

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh my gosh Andrea, I have wanted a nesting box for so long. You are one lucky girl! I love vintage farm implements! I have feeders planted in my garden. I saw that same picture in C.L. and loved it! Yours turned out so cute. I love it with the Fall produce. It will make a great winter catch all. The idea of a Nevermore tag was super. Thanks!

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

I love it when things work out! Lovely box. Your paint job is sublime.

Happy WW,
Judy

ChiPPy-SHaBBy said...

LoVe Your "Freshened UpDate"... I could just see it adorned with Christmas - NEXT!*!*! Great Job...
Jeanine Burkhardt

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Ah Andrea,

it worked out perfectly.

I love it.

Well done.

x Fiona

Pam Kessler said...

Now you're making me want to run out and find a chicken coop. That is perfect to organize your winter gear in. Awesome idea. Love the decor around it also.

Anonymous said...

this is fantastic!!! Heck, I'd like to have one for my chickens! :) Your repurposed idea is going to be great come winter. And I know what you mean about the cold coming. I was outside yesterday painting and just that cool autumn breeze reminded me I only have a few more days of working outside. Happy White Wednesday.

Geneva said...

I really like that chicken coop made over! There will be a dozen ways to use it...so I can see why it's a keeper! Thank you for sharing this fun post!

Tania Pelletier said...

Oh Boy! I love what you've done with that old nesting "apartment" box! I saw that issue of that magazine and loved what they had done too! Yours looks so nice!

Tania

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

OMGoodness...I just love this!!! You were so very lucky to get this from your friend.

Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Where can you get 500 dollars for these things I have several in my trees on our farm!

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

Wow! What a creative idea and it's fabulous!

Thanks for visiting and enjoying my macro view of my hibiscus!

andrea@townandprairie said...

To Anonymous...
You would think!
I had a friend a long time ago who grew up on a farm, too. He used to say you could paint any farm object and sell it at an antique store. He said he was shocked when he saw a screen door go for $80. I swear, Kane County Flea was selling nesting boxes $500 a pop. andrea@townandprairie

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

What a great project! you did an amazing job:)
Lina
Fancy Frugal Life

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love anything to do with chickens and really love your nest....decor.

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

What an amazing transformation. I know just where I'd store all my supplies! Great paint job, I love it.

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

Wow what a blessing to have this coop given to you. It turned out beautifully!!

Cheryl ~ ZanyMayd said...

So Sweet ~ Love this....

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Such a treasure! I absolutely love it!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Debbiedoos said...

Ok we are all going to be on a mission for chicken coops...LOL! This was great. Thanks so much for sharing with the magazine copy cat party. I look forward to next month, when we can get into the holiday inspiration.

Janel from NellieBellie said...

This is a really cute idea! Now I need to looking for chickeny stuff!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Andrea!! This is AWESOME!! What a great neighbor, huh?? Love the idea of using it for hats and gloves!! Very cute!! You did a great job!

Sonny G said...

This is fabulous. Love the paint treatment you choose.. super cute and a great copy cat.

debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

If you're offered another one, I'll take it! What an amazing makeover! And just think of all the ways you can use it!
Debbie

Melodee said...

really adorable:) looks great!

Cathy said...

It's nice to have a giving friend. I think a big A+ is ideal for your project. Excellent job!

Cathy's Cupboard Calamity

Gail said...

That looks amazing! What a nice gift from your friend.

Melissa said...

I LOVE this!!!!!! I'm so jealous. Remember me if you ever decide to get rid of it! :)

Unknown said...

LOVE how your going to repurpose this, great idea i never would have thought of it!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This looks great! Love the box and the idea!

DIYbyDesign said...

What a great idea. I saw you featured over at At The Picket Fence and had to stop by to check out the full post. Very cool. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to stop by and say hi and consider following me back. Thanks so much. Looking forward to keeping up with your blog.

Melissa said...

I featured you today! Come by and grab your button! :)

http://vintagemellie.blogspot.com/

{northern cottage} said...

absolutely love it and am SOOO envious that you had this to work your farm fresh magic on!

www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

you might like my Farm Fresh Pinterest board - looks like we may just both love farm & prairie -

http://pinterest.com/northernc/

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

I just love it. my sister has chickens, but not a super cute nester like that one!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

You lucky girl! Yes it is definitely a keeper! Thanks for linking up to The "Autumn Décor" Talent Scouting Party at WhisperWood Cottage!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...