Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Santa Claus is Coming to Town!

I have this amazing collection of vintage Santas...










I love their red velvet suits and and old yellowed beards.










To some, they're known as department store Santas.  Some of these guys had their very first home in a department store window display at Christmas time.

The blocks say, 'X-mas.'  Usually, I never write that, but these blocks are Victorian and were buried in a box of other vintage Christmas gear I bought.











Perhaps you remember them?  I do not.  They were more from my mother's time, I think.











This one on the far right with the robe is not that old.  He is maybe ten years old.  We have dubbed him 'The Cone Santa' because he is made out of a cardboard cone which is just embellished with fabric.  But, he blends in with the gang all the same.  That crazy hat spans decades.  It never seems to go out of style.











This little face is so sweet.  He is a broken remnant of a once much larger decoration that used to spin.  He'll brighten your day all the same.










The older Santas have those chalkier faces and wooly yellow beards.  I know sometimes dealers will add a little flour to the beard to brighen it before a sale to make it appear fresher.  Can we joke about a dirty Santa, or what?!









Ho! Ho! Ho!

I'll be linking up this post to the







21 comments:

Barbara Rosenzweig said...

These are fabulous! What a wonderful collection!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Your Santas are so cute. Yes I remember them. I'm probably even older than your mother. ;0)
Barb

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love your Santas!

Katie @ sweetgirlexpressions said...

I just found your blog (thanks to Iowa junk gypsies) & I love it! It looks like you haunt the same flea markets that I do,being an Illinois girl :)
I am now following you...if you have time swing by & visit me, Katie

http://sweetgirlexpressions.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea! OH, your vintage Santas are so special! I wish I had some. I had blocks like that when I was a little girl! Thanks for popping in and thank you for following my blog!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia;)

Unknown said...

your santas are so cute, great collection!

Trisha said...

I love these Santa's! Growing up we had one similar to these that you could wind up and it would play music. It's on my list of things that I want from my mom. Happy Holidays to you!

~Trisha

Julie Marie said...

Oooh I love your vintage Santas so much!... I am such a vintage Christmas collector, and each one is a treasure, full of precious memories from Christmases past... just yesterday I bought the twin Santa of yours at a local thrift shop... the one who used to be on something than spun around... I did not get him photographed in time for my post about my vintage Santas, but he may appear in a post yet!... love those old ones, and yes, I DO remember them in department store windows... xoxo Julie Marie

Barb said...

Hi Andrea, your Santas are wonderful....so pretty.

It is so nice to meet you!

Barb ♥

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Ho! Ho! Ho!, I love them so.

Karen said...

Those are so adorable, vintage Santas make great collections.

Highpoint Circle said...

Hey Sheila, thanks for stopping by highpointcircle. You commented that your Mom used to make angels out of old paperback books and I was wondering if you know how to do it. I would love to make an angel (I made the Christmas tree out of the old book). Stop by the blog if you know the directions for an angel. Thanks

I love your vintage Santas--very unusual.

Tardevil said...

Love your collection. I collect them, too, but only have 1 of the ones you've showed. I didn't put mine out this year, but maybe I should re-consider. They are fun!

A Mother and A Daughter said...

I LOVE your vintage santa collection! I wish I had a few more! I have one and I saw another at a flea market yesterday. Think I'll hurry and go back and get it! ~ Barbara

stefanie said...

they are sooooo cute!

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

Cute Santas! I don't mind those beards yellowed, either.

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Hi Andrea, thanks for dropping by my blog and following....I am following back! I love those vintage Santas!

Unknown said...

I love that last little guy that looks like he is dancing , there is something familiar about him , not sure why .

Pam Kessler said...

How cute. Love all the little red guys.

Debra@CommonGround said...

Oh, I love them, they're just adorable!! Didn't realize some of them would have been from Dept. Stores, but that makes sense, thanks for sharing them with all of us! xo

Bohemian said...

What a great grouping of Vintage Santas... and Styled Beautifully!

Christmas Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...