Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cloves and Oranges

I know for sure that I was first introduced to the decorated orange
 
through the "Little House" books.
 
 
 
 
A colonial treasure, these served as natural Christmas decorations
 
and also gifts to friends and neighbors.
 
 
 
 
This year I let the kids do this project again.
 
They enjoy it because it's something different to do, and they
 
feel they are helping with the decorating and preparations.
 
All you have to do is pierce the flesh of an orange with a clove and push it in.
 
Repeat in rows!
 
If the skins are a little tough, you can first pierce the rind with a safety pin
 
before inserting the clove.  I recommend safety pins because the kids pushed the straight pins
 
all the way in.
 
 
 
 
These make a very powerful natural deoderizer for your home.
 
Super pungent and highly highly fragrant, you only need a few to capture
 
that aroma of holiday citrus spice.
 
The first day out on the table, if you sit there for too long your eyes will water.
 
But they smell so clean.
 
 
 
 
Here in a table setting, the bold natural hue of orange
 
can serve as a direct contrast to white and green linens and tableware.
 
A few evergreen branches will add rhythm between forms.
 
 
 
 
I love them because they are natural and elegant...
 
 
 
 
...and of course old-fashioned!
 
It's getting time to deck the halls around here...
 
 
 
I'll be sharing with:
 
 
 


7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Your table looks beautiful, Andrea. I used to do the oranges every year with my kids- time to do some with the grandkids now...thanks for the reminder about them. I hope you have a wonderful day- xo Diana

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

They look so pretty. I've been wanting to try and make some this year - as well as carving the skins on some oranges. I haven't done it yet, but yours are inspiring.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Your table is so pretty, Andrea! I love the greens and the oranges down the center.
Have a Blessed Thanksgiving.
~Barb

The Cranky said...

I remember reading about them in Little House as well! They make a wonderful pomander for hanging in a closet and will scent the clothing or linens wonderfully.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Hello Andrea,

I just popped in to wish you and yor family a very Happy Thanksgiving.

The table looks wonderful
and those oranges, theya re great.


I hope that you all have a lovely day.

Enjoy

x Fiona

Patty said...

I can just smell the wonderful aroma! I have done them before and they are so interesting. Your table is just beautiful. Love the lantern too. Happy Thanksgiving!

Red Rose Alley said...

I was introduced to the clove and orange by my sister many years ago. She had them in her kitchen, and every time I walked in, the sweet smell of spices and oranges filled her kitchen. It was a wonderful scent. It is nice that you let your children join in. Christmas is upon us, and I hope you are enjoying this special season.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...