Monday, August 15, 2011

"Betty"

One day this summer, Dan was driving into town to get some gas.  On the way there, he picked up "Betty."





"Betty" was found on the curb of the highway...a local storage center just off the road.  True prairie dove style.  Storage centers are hot spots for pickin'.  People always end up throwing away what they put in there anyway.


Well, Betty had some damaged corners (which Dan repaired in this photo already with wood putty and filler).  She also was lined with very ugly avacado and black FLOCKED contact paper.  But, she boasted beautiful hardware and a '1948' stamp on her back.   Forties' furniture--- cool!







She received a good sanding, a coat of Ace primer, and several coats of paint.  Then, she got her spa treatment with the orbital sander for distressing.  We also had to replace the two glass knobs on the bottom cabinets.  We still thought she was rather stuffy, so Dan replaced the front panel with chicken wire.  He built a frame of slender wood and then stapled the wire directly to it.  The frame was then inserted into the panel door and carefully nailed in.






Now she is more airy, and I honestly feel like she can breathe. 


When the contact paper was peeled away she was so excited because it had stifled her for decades.  She was trashed on the roadside and then she was found.   This old gal has life in her, yet!!

26 comments:

Anita said...

I love it and I love that you've named her Betty. That's my Memaw's name and I think it's especially fitting today, as she's ill and I am hopeful she too still has a bit of life left in her yet! :)

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous...I want one!! :)
Cas x

Anonymous said...

Amazing transformation. Not even kidding. It looks fabulous!

Mona Kay Gorman said...

OH...MY...GOSH.....sorry, I passed out for a second...SERIOUSLY!!!! she is soooo gorgeous!! I am going to start haunting the storage units!!

Very lovely transformation!!

andi {the hollie rogue} said...

the chicken wire really does it for me...be still my beating heart!

great work!

Andi

Candace @ Candace Creations said...

Wow that is such an amazing transformation. When I saw the first picture I thought....good luck making that thing fresh! But you guys did it and then some! AWESOME!

Anna said...

amazing! You did a beautiful job on this china cabinet. I love this style of furniture and hardware

Pam Kessler said...

So you didn't love the flocked wallpaper? She looks so much better. Love the chicken wire effect.

Cassie Bustamante said...

gorgeous!!! old betty is quite the charmer now!

foreverdecorating said...

A great post. Plus Betty is looking good for her age. You and hubby did a great job and you must have him trained well to spot bargains like roadside trash.

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

She's beautiful! I love that you painted the handles to match the body.

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It's gorgeous! What a find!

Raindrops and Daisies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raindrops and Daisies said...

Great find and I love the way you have painted it.

Enjoy!


Fiona

WhyCuzICan said...

Betty is beautiful and breathing easier thanks to you and hubby! Very nice redo! :)

I've never thought of storage unit places...hummm, I'll take to take a peek at one around my place sometime. Maybe someone there has a Betty in need of a new Mommy

Visiting from Nifty Thrifty Tue Linky Party at Coastal Charm,
~Suzanne in NW IL

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Her new look makes me weak in the knees! I love that her name is Betty! Stellar transformation.

I'm your newest follower.

Debbiedoos said...

Betty is looking sassy and younger too. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

Kristal said...

Ya know, I can actually 'see' Betty smilin'!!!! You are so lucky that your hubby picked her up... I'm still working on getting mine to stop ~ LOL!!

XoXo,
Kristal

Veronica said...

Betty is no longer a Bargain Betty but a Betty Beautiful Investment piece!

Veronica
www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

Deborah March said...

Ohmyohmyohmy...what a SPECTACULAR transformation!! LOVE those beautifully bowed drawers!

Faded Plains said...

Betty turned out amazing...great job!

Unknown said...

She looks lovely! I love seeing old pieces being given a new life.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

It looks beautiful! Great job! Thank you for sharing at It's a Party!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

You killed it with this redo. I don't know what else to say. And the chicken wire is the best part. Awesome job to you and your husband!

Sarah said...

Amazing job! Very inspiring. I saw your redo on West Furniture Revival and had to come say hi. :)

Julia @ 551Eastdesign said...

This an amazing transformation! You have a great eye. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...