Friday, August 5, 2011

Farm Tour

Note: This is a long post filled with photos.  Questions on the bottom!!

Yesterday, our neighbor asked us if we would like to go to his farm.  He said the kids might enjoy it and that he wanted to ask me if there were some things I might like before he threw them on the burn pile. 



Red Alert!!  Red ALert!!  Farm objects on the burn pile???  Gotta go right now....



It was only a 5 minute drive.  The above barn is over 100 years old.



I knew I had to bring along my camera.  My whole body said, "This I gotta SEE."




It was an exploration of light and texture.

Come look inside the barn...




Love how the light glints through the rooftops.  Here are some photos to enjoy.  Scroll to the bottom to see what we brought home!!






































I really wanted to bring home this dog house.  I thought the teal color was so cool.




Alas, my husband tried to lift it....



And said we would need a forklift!  That's ok, we can all enjoy it from the photo.




I also fell in love with this nesting box.  Our neighbor said he would think about it.  I think it would be super-cute to put mittens and magazines in  (LOVE magazines!!!)






Our neighbor let us bring home these beautiful vintage bowling pins.







They were just laying in the barn, so we boxed them up and brought them home.






Again, too good to pass up!  Don't know what I am going to do with them yet, but I love the texture on the old skins.





I absolutely LOVE this photo I took in the barn.  The picture of this ship was in there on the barn floor next to the pins.  Such a beautiful arrangement, I couldn't have planned it.


And finally....






This beautiful old chest was his grandmother's.  He said she brought it over from Sweden.  It was destined for the burn pile.





What a great piece.  Again, don't know what I am going to do with it, yet.  It definitely needs to be cleaned because it was in the limestone basement of the old farmhouse.  


Any ideas?  Leave it?  Paint a weathered Swedish flag on top?

I am so excited!!  I have always wanted a flat-topped trunk but never actually splurged on one.  I would love to hear your feedback!










8 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that trunk is sooo cool! it looks like it at least needs a cleaning up, but i love the dark rustic look!

Tee of Vinnord Cottage said...

l-u-c-k-y you!!! Sigh... I want a rumage like that as well :D

Carol-Anne said...

You are SO lucky! I love those bowling pins! Joining as your newest Follower!

Noble Vintage said...

Oh my holy heck! You lucky girl!!!!! I would have been asking about the nesting box too. Your trunk is gorgeous. You saved it from a near tragedy. I love the wood color. It would be so neat to stencil your neighbor's family name and the year it came over. An homage to it's history. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comments. I felt the same way you do not too long ago. Go for it. You won't be sorry! :)

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

Amazing pictures and amazing finds. Is the wood in good condition. Can it just be cleaned up and waxed? Or refinished? I love how it is! A Swedish flag would be pretty neat too. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

By the way I thought I was emailing you through blogger but it didn't work...so here it is as a comment!

Wow I love your blog. You take such amazing pictures. And your neighbor's barn is AMAZING. You scored on that trunk and the pins for sure. And it looks like he had an old quaker oat grain sack in one of the pictures. You should go back and grab it! It's awesome! And if he has anymore grab me one while you're at it and I'll pay you for it! :P Or we could do a swap! I've been looking for some but haven't had any luck here in Houston.

And thanks so much for the kind comments. So glad you like how the dresser turned out. I know...I still can't believe people throw this stuff away. But I guess one man's trash...

Have a great weekend! Following you back! Good luck with your blog! You don't need it though. It's already great!

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos, and lucky you to have those great items. What a nice neighbour.

Anonymous said...

these pictures are so amazing! I'll be following along!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...