Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rose of Sharons

When nothin' else is bloomin' in the dog days of summer, there is one good ol' reliable...




The Rose of Sharon.  Drought tolerant, fast-growing, bee and hummingbird attractor, this garden staple of ours doesn't have many draw backs.




This particular variety right here is an Althea.  They don't spread all over your yard like a regular Rose of Sharon might, dropping her seeds into your garden beds.  The bright pink is vibrant against dark summer greens.  The Althea doesn't have the yellow pistil coming out the bloom.




This Rose of Sharon is right out our front door.  She greets us every morning with her flags.  Come every late July/August, these girls WILL NOT let you down.  I'm tellin' YOU, the only water they EVA get is from the rain, and if you live where I do, it didn't rain for three straight weeks here and everything got toasted... but not these girls.




View from the front yard....




...and our doorstep again.  




This bush by the chimney is a pale pink.  She is a transplant from my mom's house, as is the one by the front door.  These are a bit more wild than the Althea.  Tiny little shoots will spring up on the ground underneath her and you will have to pluck them out when the ground is damp.  If you choose not to, you will have a bumper crop o' Sharons that you could use to make an entire hedge.




SO ideal for when you need a fast-growing, but beautiful, hedge near your fence for privacy from neighbors (remember good fences make good neighbors).




Or maybe you appreciate her for what she is all on her own.





Well, tonight I think may be a night for some prairie dove love.





Get your head out of the gutter!!

As soon as the boys are back from the soccer tourney, we're goin' pickin'.

Tonight's the night for puttin' out the trash and with summer goin' strong, people have trashed some pretty neat stuff in the past month.  Must be cleanin'.  More news on roadside salvage comin' to you this week here @ townandprairie.

And I'm linkin' up with DebbieDoos for Newbie Monday!

13 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

We have several Rose of Sharons, too. You are right they tolerate heat and drought well. Yours are beautiful.

Inspired by you said...

Gorgeous flowers. Wish I could keep some alive. Feel free to email me specific questions about your struggles with the chair cushion. I'ld be more than happy to help you to the best of my ability. Thanks for checking out my frenchy chairs.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Love your Rose of Sharon- I have a double purple that I love. I went back and read all of your posts-love them. I was going to follow, but there is no place showing up for me to do so. This happened on another blog, but was fixed in a day or so. For now I will add you to my favorites and as soon as its fixed, I will follow.

annies home said...

this is my moms favorite bush her yard is decorated in many different places with them

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Your garden is beautiful! I am super jealous from TX where everything is shriveling up! My garden is barely holding on!

I would love for you to link up your beautiful garden post at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/07/bog-party-2

I am a new follower!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I just found your blog on DebbieDoos and love your flowers.
I just became one of your followers,
Barb

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Lovely flowers and beautiful garden.


Fiona

The Single Nester said...

Oh my gosh! I have so many of these bushes and I never knew the name! Now I do! I see you are an artist. I am trying to watercolor and I stink!

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Hi there,

I'm your newest follower!


Fiona

Anonymous said...

Your Rose of Sharon are beautiful! I love flowers, especially pink ones ~ so feminine and pretty!!

Faded Plains said...

I love that photo of it as a hedge...I think I'll put this bush on my list of hedge plants.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

We have several Rose of Sharon plants, too. My mother-in-planted them. I love to watch the hummingbirds visit them.

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I meant my mother-in-law!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...