Monday, August 8, 2011

Out on the Town

Well, we did go pickin' Sunday night, but we didn't have any good salvage finds, save an ol' nightstand.  We weren't totally skunked.  I've decided I will share some of our other finds this week.




Okay, well, I'm cheating here.  This isn't an image (above) of a prairie dove pick up.  I actually broke down and bought this sweet dresser from an antique shop for my daughter's room.  It is really kicking my butt.  I had better finish this fast, too, because school starts next week and I still have her clothes in my room because I sold her old dresser at the garage sale.  I will post about her make-over when she is ready.

Anyway...

One day when we were just driving through town approximately two and and half weeks ago, and I had already commenced work on the antique-y dresser (above), when we saw this at the curb...




I literally almost pooped my pants.  Had I known she would be out there, I don't know that I would have splurged on my biggy purchase.

So anyway, we had to pull over and I got out and had to wait at the curb guarding it (to make sure no one else took it) while my husband drives home and removes some of the van seats so we can fit her in the van (and the kids were in there, too).

So I am standing at the curb, biting my nails nervously waiting for my husband who would be back in about ten minutes when....

the owner walks out of the garage.

I go, "Hi, if you are throwing out this dresser, I am going to take it, ok?"

He looks at me and says, "Do you want the bed that goes with it??"

(SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!)

"Sure..." (ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh...)

So I go into the garage and there is this beautiful bedframe on casters.  (Sorry, no original photo here).  He starts hauling out the bed for me and I see this beautiful antique dresser mirror propped against the wall.

"That is a beautiful mirror," I say.

"Let me see if my wife wants to get rid of it."

So she comes outside.  She didn't want to get rid of it.  She wanted to try to hang it above her bathroom vanity to see if it would fit.  It didn't match the dresser, but it was very old just the same.  She said the pieces were her friend's grandmother's and dated from the 1930's.

So my husband comes back and we bring these girls home and paint them.  The finish on the bed matched the dresser but was in very bad shape.  I might take them down the street to the antique shop I frequent and sell on consignment, they have pretty good rates. 





I may just keep "Cynthia" (the dresser)...I really do love her.




If I arranged it just right, I might be able to fit both dressers into my daughter's room.  (Or maybe she will go in my room!)





"Ruthie", the bed, is a full-bed.  She even came with the cross rails (not shown).  We definitely cannot keep her as my daughter's room cannot accomodate a full bed.  And, of course, a full bed is too small for two adults in 2011.  But her curves are rockin'!!


And the story goes further...


The following week, on a hunch, we drove by again and there lay the mirror at the curb-side.  Broken.  Luckily, the glass wasn't broken, just the wood frame around her (cracked off in three spots), which of course can be glued.  Of course, they must've tried to see how she would look over the vanity, dropped her and BROKE HER, and then just trashed her.  I will not make any more comments about her history now because I find it most upsetting.  I do not have a photo of the mirror, sorry, you will just have to take my word for it that she is super cool.  She is in the garage awaiting transformation into a magnetic chalkboard, courtesy DIY magazine article.  You will see a reveal on her when she is ready.


When all was said and done, we couldn't believe what a hot pick-up it all was, these ladies of the night.  Beautiful prairie doves...just waitin' for a pick up.






Just look at those gams!!


*Linking up this week with:
Nifty Thrify Tuesday @ Coastal Charm









26 comments:

Ashley said...

i saw your comment on my coke crate so i had to come over and check things out....i'm following! i'm loving the white!!

Evie said...

Wow...what a find!! You lucky lady! Nobody ever gets rid of anything that great where I live! :)

asiadeli said...

Hi Andrea,thanks for following my blog. I'm following you back

Raindrops and Daisies said...

What lovely finds.

You lucky girl!!

Have a good day.

Fiona~ Raindrops&Daisies

Sylvia said...

I wish that would happend to me!! What awesome finds!!

Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrea! You were so lucky! Those pieces were meant for you and you did such a good job transforming them too.

Kristal said...

You are a LUCKY gal!! Too bad about the mirror but at least it is now in good hands.

XoXo,
Kristal

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a "cool" story...you are one lucky gal!!! Love the style of the chest and bed...and their makeover looks outstanding.

Blessings,
Linda

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Wow, what lucky finds! And, you did a great job on the makeovers.
Barb

Chrissie said...

What amazing finds! You lucky girl!

Unknown said...

Great finds and transformations too. You had me laughing!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

WOW! What great luck you had! Glad they went to someone who could make them gorgeous!

Erin of HomeSavvyAtoZ.com said...

Thank you so much for linking up and partying at Home Savvy A to Z this week, Andrea!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, with that kind of luck I hope you ran out and bought yourself a lottery ticket too(after you had your gorgeous pieces stashed safely in the van of course!) They look lovely painted white :)
Cas x
p.s. I'm your newest follower...you had me laughing out loud with your descriptions in this post :)

Angela said...

What a great find! I'm glad you rescued those beautiful pieces, the curves and legs are so pretty.
Love your post.
Hugs,
Angela.

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Don't you love those curbside treasures?

The furniture looks great in white. :)

Tee of Vinnord Cottage said...

lucky lucky you!!! People just dont leave stuff like that at the curb in Norway... sigh.... ENVY! :D

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh my gosh, you are so lucky!! You did a beautiful job transforming!

I would love for you to join us at “It’s a Party” today!
www.acreativeprincess.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful note on my shirt slip tutorial, Andrea! I actually just got home from a trip to Goodwill but no luck today on finding anything cool. If it makes you feel any better, I'm self taught and certainly no expert with sewing. I'm somewhere in the middle ground and that's okay. If you learn to sew as well as you paint furniture, you'll create some beautiful things. I'm coveting your "Cynthia" dresser...and that bed. So pretty. Welcome to blogging and thank you for following me. I'm following you as well. I only had a few minutes to snoop around your place today but I love what I see. Thanks again for the sweet note!

xo,
Jami

Judi said...

Just want to say you are one lucky girl. I love your finds and what you have done to them. Thank you for sharing. and I want to say I am a new follower.
Can't wait to see what else you will be doing.
Judi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting & becoming a follower!!! I am always excited at new ones :) You do great work :) love these pieces.

Design Dork said...

I love "cynthia" the dresser! She is fabulous! I wish I could find something like that for my room

asiadeli said...

Hi,thanks for following my blog. Already a follower. Look forward to reading more from your blog.

http://freedelicacies.blogspot.com

foreverdecorating said...

I'm a fan and a follower for a while, but I am so glad to find you again because you are a hoot! Great storytelling.

Cynthia said...

Wow, you were so lucky to find these pieces. Love the names you choose :-)

Michele said...

Hi Andrea,

This is truly amazing too. To find a dresser and a bed, a miracle from above, :)

Take care and hope you visit again,
Michele
Pearl 13.1

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...