Thursday, August 11, 2011

Clyde

One day when out on the town, we spotted this bad-boy at a garage sale.  He could not be passed up, for he had a $5.00 price tag.




I remembered to take a "before" photo after I had already taken off his hardware.  He is a great  little vintage dresser: very lightweight, lots of storage, clean lines, and even a bit of manliness to him.  He was a score for the five dollar price tag.





I know the background imagery isn't impressive.  At the point of picture takin' here, Clyde was already getting ready for transport and it was a -take it now or never have it- moment. 

After a priming, he received a paint job in a soft tan color found on the -orphan cans of paint- shelf at the local Lowe's.  The paint only cost $2.00.






His hardware was replaced after painting.  He was also distressed to bring his rugged manliness back out.






He had a great little detail on his legs.  I am not sure what period he dates from.  Early twentieth century, perhaps.  We don't think he was a high-end dresser at the time of original purchase.







But there is something about Clyde that is attractive.   I think it is his simplicity.  Also, the original patina on the pulls is striking.







Later that same week, we also picked up a lady-friend for Clyde.  She will be recorded in a future post.



6 comments:

Carol-Anne said...

I love this! It looks so nice now!

Do you sell these pieces? If so, I'd love to hear about how you work out pricing....I do furniture re-painting/finishing and struggle with how to decide on pricing. If you have a moment, I'd love to hear from you on this (you can find my email on my blog to keep your own privacy).

Thanks.

Savannah Granny said...

Beautiful chest. What a bargain! the outcome if fantastic. Five dollars, that's a drive thru meal. Kudos!
I am hopping over from Debbiedoos. I am your newest follower. Please come by to see me and enter my great giveaway. It ends tonight. Ginger

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Good Morning Andrea,

LOVE IT!!!!! What a fabulous restyle job you did on this great little dresser.

And for $5.00! You go girl!

Janet xox
http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

ps...yeah...I like exclamation points ;->

Stacey said...

Clyde is so good-looking and so cheap...wow! Love him!
Stacey of Embracing Change

oops! said...

Great redo! I love the color, the hardware, everything! To think some people sell this for $5.00! If they could see it now!

Emily@LovelyBeasts said...

Wow a awesome and TALL find for $5 and the pulls are great. They almost look like they're made of wood in the picture. Awesome job!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...